Spotlight on Office Procedure and E/M Coding
WHY ATTEND A VIRTUAL MEETING?
- Time pressed surgeons will find distance learning keeps them abreast of up to date coding and documentation rules.
- Since we can not travel, this is a great option.
- Get KZA’s expert coding education from the comfort of your own home or office.
- Receive the same great workbook and alumni resources.
- Participate live by submitting questions to speakers and participating in polling.
- Earn up to 13 CME or CEU credit hours.
Spotlight on Office Procedure and E/M Coding – THURSDAY, APRIL 9, 2020
Course begins at 8 AM CST and adjourns at 4 PM CST
Surgeons would rather do a procedure than code for a procedure or visit, but accurate coding and documentation drives revenue and compensation and ensures compliance. Attending this course will help increase revenue and decrease compliance risk. Surgeons and their staff must know what services are included in the global payment and what services are paid in addition to the global payment.
- Recognize the E/M office visit coding changes for 2021
- Demonstrate accurate coding of E/M office and hospital visits in 2020
- Identify appropriate use of modifiers with E/M services
- Describe the components of the global surgical package, including critical care rules
- Demonstrate accurate coding of biopsies, FNA, excisions, and laceration repair
- Differentiate coding for screening versus diagnostic colonoscopy
- Apply teaching physician rules and coding for services
- Describe accurate coding of telemedicine, eVisits, consults, and non-face-to-face services
- Implement practice management strategies for collecting from patients with high-deductible health plans.
ACS Member: $795
Combo Thursday & Friday
ACS Member: $1,375
The American College of Surgeons is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
The American College of Suegeons designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Of the AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ listed above, a maximum of 6.5 credits meet the requirements for Self-Assessment.
2020 AAPC Accreditation
This program has the prior approval of AAPC for 6.5 continuing education hours. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.
Technical support will be available one hour prior to the start of the workshop, during the virtual meeting, and 30 minutes after the course concludes. Support is offered in the form of live chat, email or phone assistance.
Additionally, once you receive your login information you can test your connection on the device you will be using for the virtual meeting. We suggest you do this a few days in advance of the workshop so that you can reach out to the tech support if there are any issues.
You will receive a physical workbook(s) prior to the virtual meeting by Fed Ex or UPS. The workbooks will be sent to the address provided in the order. If staff will be attending from home please indicate where the book should be sent. If they should be sent to a different address please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will update the address.
Even though you aren’t in the room with the instructor you will still have the opportunity to ask questions. There will be designated Q&A segments for each course during which both in-person and remote attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions. These questions will be submitted through a panel on the virtual meeting player.
The workshop content is copyrighted property of KarenZupko & Associates, Inc. Any rebroadcast, reproduction, or other use of the pictures, content and accounts of this workshop or the accompanying workbook without the express written consent of KarenZupko & Associates, Inc. is prohibited.
*agenda subject to change
ALL TIMES IN CENTRAL STANDARD TIME (CST)
7:00 - 8:00 AM
Help Line and Customer Support
8:00Am - 9:00Am CST
E/M Office Coding Changes in 2021 NEW!
- Code definition changes for 99202–99215
- New rules for using time for office and outpatient visits
- New medical decision-making grid in 2021
- Recommended changes to templates for next year
9:00am - 10:00am CST
E/M Office and Hospital Coding in 2020
- Select accurate codes for hospital and office services based on medical necessity and documentation
- Know what shortcut phrases are supported by the Documentation Guidelines and what phrases to avoid
- Medical decision-making in its current form
- Know when using time is the winning hand
10:00am - 10:15am CST
10:15aM - 11:00aM CST
Selecting the Correct Category of Code
- New and established patient visits and consults
- Select the correct category of code for initial inpatient services, regardless of payor
- Coding for visits in the Emergency Department
11:00aM -12:00pM CST
Global Surgical Package
- Components of the global surgical package
- Separately reportable E/M services
- Modifiers 24, 25, and 57
- Differences between the CMS and CPT definitions of the global package
- Critical care coding rules in and out of the global package
- Trauma teams and critical care
12:00pM - 1:00PM CST
1:00PM - 2:15pm CST
Surgical Procedures Commonly Done in the Office
- Biopsies, excisions, fine needle aspiration
- Laceration repair
- Append the correct modifiers to screening colonoscopy services
- Determine the primary and secondary diagnosis codes
2:15PM — 2:30PM CST
2:30PM — 3:00PM CST
Working In Teams With Residents, NPs, and PAs
- Update to teaching physician rules for students and residents NEW!
- Medicare incident to and shared services rules
Telemedicine: Separating the Hype From the Reality NEW!
- Telemedicine as defined by Medicare
- Place of service and modifiers for telemedicine
- New CPT codes for online digital evaluation and management
- Interprofessional consults
- Non-face-to-face prolonged services
3:00PM — 4:00PM
- CMS policy update
- Key A/R metrics
- Surgical deposits and point-of-service collections
- Denial management
Consultant and Speaker
Consultant, Author and Speaker
Consultant and Speaker
Consultant and Speaker