Assistant Surgeon Billing



I’ve recently been advised by another consultant to bill for both the primary surgeon and surgical assistant on the same claim form. That didn’t seem right to me. What do you think?


We do not advise you to bill for two different providers on the same claim form. The services performed by two different providers should be separately reported on different claim forms listing each as a rendering and billing provider. For Medicare and payors who recognize the AS modifier (e.g., PA, NP) , the assistant is required to submit a claim using his/her own NPI as the rendering and billing provider thus a separate claim form is indeed required.