*agenda subject to change
8:00AM - 9:30AM
Global Surgical Package
- What’s included: Pre-op visits? Post-op visits related vs. unrelated to the procedure?
- CPT guidelines vs. Medicare guidelines
Modifiers Get You Paid
- KZA’s “Quick guide” to surgery code modifiers.
- Modifier 50 (bilateral procedures)
- When to use modifiers 22 (increased service) vs. 52 (reduced service) vs. 53 (discontinued procedure).
- Unravel the confusion between modifiers 51 vs. 59 vs. Medicare’s X- modifiers.
- Multiple procedures in a global period: What’s “planned” vs. “unplanned” using modifiers 58, 78 and 79.
- Solve the confusion between an assistant surgeon (80, 82) vs. co-surgeon (62).
9:30AM - 9:45AM
9:45AM - 11:30AM
Surgical Procedure Coding
When to use an unlisted code and how to determine your fee.
- Tympanoplasty, mastoidectomy, eustachian tube dilation, bone anchored hearing aid surgery, repair of semicircular canal dehiscence, excision of acoustic neuroma/vestibular schwannoma and more.
- Use the endoscopic sinus surgery/dilation codes.
- Inferior turbinate procedures.
- Treatment of epistaxis.
- Code for pituitary tumor removal.
- Endoscopic/endonasal skull base surgery.
- Flexible laryngoscopy procedures including laser ablation, tracheostomy and tube change, Botox injections, thyroplasty and more.
- Coding for skin biopsies and reconstruction of surgical wound defects.
- Excisional shave biopsy CPT codes NEW!
- Repair of nasal vestibular stenosis in-office vs. operating room.
Head and Neck
- Fine needle aspiration with and without ultrasound guidance, endoscopies, trach tube changes, tongue biopsies, glossectomy, thyroidectomy/parathyroidectomy, parotidectomy, and neck dissection procedures.
- Using the examination under anesthesia code 92502, foreign body removal, T&A and postop bleed scenarios, tympanostomy tubes (placement, removal), laryngoplasty.
- Sleep endoscopy, hyoid suspension, tongue base reduction, soft palate implant, hypoglossal nerve stimulators, and more.
11:30AM - 12:30PM
12:30PM - 1:45PM
Continuation of Surgical Procedure Coding
1:45PM - 2:00PM
2:00PM – 2:30PM
Continuation of Surgical Procedure Coding (continued)
2:30PM - 4:00PM
- Billing/supervision guidelines, audiogram, tympanogram, ENG, audiologists billing E/M codes.
- Testing, immunotherapy including SLIT; billing supervision guidelines.
- Unattended studies, CPAP initiation/management.
- Global vs. professional and technical component coding.