*agenda subject to change
7:00AM — 8:00AM
Check-in and Breakfast (provided)
8:00AM — 10:00AM
Payment for Surgical Services
- Global surgical package for major and minor procedures
- Pre-op and post-op services that are—and aren’t—part of the global payment
- Don’t lose revenue and don’t risk an audit using E/M modifiers 24, 25, & 57
- Know the key difference between CPT and CMS definition of the global package
- Coding scenarios
Medicare Physician Fee Schedule
- Update to CMS coding policies for 2019
- Relative Value Units (RVUs)
- Status indicators
- Update on telecommunication coding NEW!
- Keep informed about changed teaching physician rules UPDATE!
Category of E/M Services
- Avoid denials by selecting the correct category of code
- Consultation codes — Many payers still accept CPT consult codes
- Inter-professional consultation codes NEW!
- Coding scenarios
- Use these reference sheets to select the correct type of service to report
10:00AM — 10:15AM
10:15AM — 12:00PM
Level of E/M Services
- Code the level of service that is documented and supported by medical necessity
- Selecting your code based on documentation
- How to differentiate straightforward, low, moderate and high medical decision making
- Using time to select a code
- Update to CMS’s documentation rules for office services NEW!
- Documenting inpatient, observation and emergency department services
- Critical care and trauma teams
- Determine when critical care is part of the global payment and when it isn’t
- Understand the difference between CPT and CMS rules for critical care
- HCPCS and CPT codes for screening colonoscopy
- Change in plans: Coding when a screening results in a procedure
- Use of modifiers 33 and PT
- Diagnosis coding for screening colonoscopy NEW!
12:00PM — 1:00PM
1:00PM — 2:15PM
Surgical Procedures Commonly Done in the Office
- Excision of benign and malignant lesions
- New CPT codes for fine needle aspiration and incisional biopsies NEW!
- Laceration repair
- Wound care and debridement
- Wound care cases
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy NEW!
2:15PM — 2:30PM
2:30PM — 3:15PM
Diagnosis Coding NEW!
- Establishing medical necessity for a service
- Anatomy of a payment policy
- Risk-adjusted diagnosis coding and HCCs
- Signs, symptoms, screening and surveillance
3:15PM — 4:00PM
- Coding related denials
- Fee schedule analysis
- Surgical deposits
- Customer service in the billing and coding departments