Mary LeGrand, RN, MA, CCS-P, CPC
Areas of Expertise
- Coding and Reimbursement Training and Audits Orthopaedics, Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, General Surgery
- Reimbursement Process and Systems Analysis
- Clinical and Financial Outcomes
- Operational Practice Management
- AAOS Now! Featured Coding Expert
- American Academy of Otolaryngology Head-Neck Surgery Bulletin
- New Jersey Medicine
- American College of Osteopathic Surgeons News
- Member, Society of Otorhinolaryngology and Head-Neck Nurses
- Past President, Society of Otorhinolaryngology and Head-Neck Nurses
- Past President, Ear Nose and Throat Nursing Foundation
- Past Member, Orthopaedic Nurses Association
- Past Board Member, National Federation of Specialty Nursing Organizations
Mary LeGrand, a nationally recognized coding and reimbursement expert works with physician practices in all aspects of the care continuum (e.g. solo physician, specialty group practices, multidisciplinary groups, academic divisions/departments, and hospital employed physicians). As an Explanation of Benefit (EOB) expert , Mary can detect inconsistencies and mitigate risk through coding/documentation or business changes to achieve optimal efficiency and reimbursement.
She performs prospective and retrospective coding and documentation audits. Her expertise in EMR documentation reviews has identified risks associated with template design, process flow (staff, physician and paper)and lack of customization of patient visits including opportunities to assess integration of E/M guidelines into the EMR logic.
Mary brings over thirty years of professional nursing and administrative, including over twenty years as a previous, long-time expert instructor for KZA’s national coding and reimbursement workshop series, sponsored by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Academy of Otolaryngology, and the American College of Surgeons. She’s served in a leadership position on several national boards, adding more insight and expertise to clients.
Previous to her consulting role at KZA, Mary held various clinical and administrative positions at the Washington University School of Medicine affiliated Barnes-Jewish Hospital (BJC Health System) in St. Louis, Missouri.
Mary holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing and a Master of Arts in Health Services Management from Webster University in St. Louis.